THE SCHOOL & FAMILY CATECHIST
Westminster Shorter Catechism, Question 23
Q. 23. What offices doth Christ execute, as our Redeemer?
A. Christ, as our Redeemer, executeth the offices of a prophet, of a Priest, and of a King, both in his estate of humiliation and exaltation.
Our Redeemer. –He who delivers, or saves, us from the slavery and misery of sin.
Offices of Christ. –Certain public charges, or employments, to which he was set apart, or appointed, by God the Father.
Executeth the offices of a prophet, &c. –That is, Christ performs, or does the duties, or works, of a prophet, priest, &c.
Estate of humiliation. –The state of poverty and of suffering, in which Christ lived, while in this world.
Estate of Exaltation. –That high and glorious state in heaven, in which Christ now is.
Here we are informed of five things :
1. That Christ executeth the office of a Prophet. –Acts iii. 22. Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me: him shall ye hear in all things, whatsoever he shall command you.
2. That he executeth the office of a Priest. –Heb. v. 6. Thou art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchisedec.
3. That he executeth the office of a King. –Psal. ii. 6. Yet have I set my King upon my holy hill of zion.
4. That these offices are all executed by Christ, as our Redeemer.
5. That these offices are all executed by him, both in his estate of humiliation and exaltation.